Friday, February 11, 2005

No zzzzzzzz and Sleater-Kinney sushi

I love insomnia. Actually, I don't love it, per se, but I do suspect that it is something akin to Linus and that damn blanket for me. Sometimes I just can not, for the life of me, make sleep happen. It just simply won't. Now is one of those times. Oddly, I think that the wandery, racing thoughts have something to do with it. Last night, for example, I was laying there thinking, amongst other things, "damn it, what the hell is Jerud's middle name?" And it was on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't quite access it. Then it came to me. Burton. His middle name is Burton. And it's not that I really needed to know that, nor was I planning on using that information for anything, I just couldn't shut my mind down because I didn't know the answer to the question. I know what you're thinking. . . it's no wonder I can't sleep since there are so many questions that I don't know the answer to. Yeah, I know.

The other night, Kira and I got to go out for sushi. Not that that is so unusual, really, but this time we had actual reasons. I was feeling under the weather -ok, like total crap- and, despite my very good intentions of making the really yummy mac and cheese from Noble Rot, I just couldn't do it. Plus I was craving miso - or a good chicken matzoh ball soup, but that is a whole other rant. The other reason was to honor Kira's kick assedness on her project for her language arts class in which, on four separate categories with a possible five points each, she received six points for three of the categories and five on the other. Kira's awesome. So we're sitting there in Mio Sushi on Hawthorne (yes, we drove...I'm sick, remember?) drowning my pending ailment in soy bean curd broth and celebrating Kira's awesomeness and in walks Carrie Brownstein, guitarist for Sleater-Kinney. She's there to pick up some take out and, while looking quite adorable in her loose jeans and down puffy jacket, she pretty much blends in with all of the other Portlanders. Thing is, the only other time I've seen a member of Sleater-Kinney about town and not on stage was in Mio Sushi on Hawthorne about a year ago when we saw Janet Weiss, the drummer, dining there with some friends.

My newest issue of Vanity Fair arrived in yesterday's mail. The cover is their pre-Oscar pull-out showcasing ten Hollywood starlets. And with the exception of the three (3!) ethnic chicks, they are ALL BLONDS! wtf? Since I have not yet had a chance to read the accompanying article, the exact criteria for coverdom inclusion remains a mystery. Some of the celeblets are established household names (Uma Thurman and Claire Danes), whereas others are more up-and-coming (Ziyi Zhang and Sienna Miller). But why not a better balance with a brunette or two? How about Natalie Portman and Fairuza Balk? They wouldn't even have to throw out two blonds in order to squeeze the other two in - I mean, it's a pull-out cover, there's plenty-o-room! Perhaps I shall write them and address this oversight. OK, I know I never will, but I like to think that I might, that I'm inclined to.

J is making me watch The Bachelorette. Alright, so she's not making me, but if it weren't for her, I'd probably have never known that the show existed at all. Well, except when Meredith was on, but that's 'cause she's from Portland and I like knowing about things from Portland. So I'm on the couch studying and Jillynn informs me that this season's bachelorette is Jen, who was slated to marry Andrew Firestone and who has been on the cover of People magazine almost as many times in the past year as Johnny Depp has. "That's nice, honey," I tell J, as if I really don't give a shit. But this thing is a trainwreck and I can't sit in the same room and not watch it. As an added bonus, I invented a drinking game to accompany said program:

-take one drink every time someone speaks of "taking things to the next/another level"
-take two drinks every time the word "connection" is uttered
-take three drinks every time the phrase "the most ________rose ceremony EVER" is announced

I should turn all tv shows into drinking games!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aforementioned Jillynn would like equal credit for the drinking game invention...afterall if one has to carry the unfortunate and hushed legacy of soriety girl (even though it was a FRATERNITY) one should at least be credited with drinking game expertise!

Besides, as crazy and frequently pathetic as reality t.v. show fans are, this blog is likely to show up in a google search for the Bachorletee and OUR game could become famous!!!

Anonymous said...

ee i eee i ooooo

Anonymous said...

O.K., lets see if I can keep this all straight.

Would you believe that 90% of my insomnia revolves aroud trying to remember names of people or things.
STOP! Do not continue reading this comment until you have burned a Sleeter Kiney CD, posted it and dropped it into the mail. da da da
one thing at a time.
O.K. now that my new Slater Kiney CD is on the way.....
Fairuza Balk...Dude (Y)X or (N)
I've been playing the Bacherlorette game without knowing it.

bad kitty said...

Sleater-Kinney CDs are on the production line and will soon be prepared for departure (maybe even sent home with Carol).

Fairuza Balk = yum

Anonymous said...

For someone who enjoys working in the garage, reading, writing, running, day dreaming and web surfing, insomnia is just another opportunity for solitude.

What does wtf stand for?

Clair Danes is a houshold name?

Got a laugh over Kira's Saturn slur: "Is that legal?

Does Sleeter Kiney have a track at appx. 175 bpm?

bad kitty said...

ggg-
WTF is a gentle and friendly (family friendly, even!) way of saying "what the fuck?"

Yes, Claire Danes is indeed a household name (ever since "My So-Called Life).

Kira's too young to be a car snob, but she loves the new Outback, so I have no complaints.

I have no idea how many beats per minute = Sleater Kinney...how does one determine such a thing?