Saturday, December 10, 2005

Ode to Opus

Sadly, I lost another canine friend today (see also this post). Opus was an awesome and happy beagle with the softest ears in the history of the universe. I liked that he didn't piss my cats off and that he didn't realize that he wasn't a very big dog. His clear bent for adventure was evident in his many escapes from the backyard on 34th Street and the many friends he'd accumulated throughout the neighborhood. Everyone knew Opus. I'm still embarassed that I'd presumed that Beth had named him Opus because she enjoyed classical music, rather than as an homage to Bloom County. On the few occasions when I was temporarily in charge of walking Opus, we had wonderful conversations in which we discussed the nuances of the various aromas we encountered along the way. Okay, I admit it, I couldn't actually smell a damn thing, but it seemed really important to him to compare and contrast the various aromas from one yard to the next, one block to the next, one tree to the next, so I just went along with it. Opus, I apologize for faking it.

I hope you will forgive me. I shall overnight you an assortment of the finest biscuits to doggie afterlife immediately.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about the doggie doo's passing. I think though that it is written all Beagles go to heaven.

tominbkk.com

paradigm shifter said...

I too loved Opus.
He didn't seem to mind that I liked to mutate his name...
Opie...OOOOpe...opemeister...and of course the most fitting...
PICA pal.

Opus loved loved loved to eat non-nutritive...typically non-edible things. His mom, Beth, is not kidding when she says he once coughed up a "boulder"...I witnessed the event and it made me wish I had a video camera.

Of course, he liked to eat nutritious things too. I think mostly...he just liked to eat. One thing he and I shared was our love of cheese. He never even seemed phased by the horse-sized pills hidden within- squished between two hunks of cheddar.

I will miss you buddy.

I hope you're somewhere enjoying sunny fields and a never ending buffet table.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so very much for the kind words about Opus. He truly was a special dog and I miss him terribly. Beth