Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Feast on this.

Everyone who knows me, knows that I love to cook. Most have also been on the receiving end of my more successful culinary extravaganzas, as well as some of my more horrifying creations. Lucky for me (and for everyone I feed), the fabulousness far outweighs the suckage.

For my dad's 60th birthday this last weekend, I opted for an Indian Feast. His wife (my wonderful stepmom), Jen, hates to cook. She wants nothing to do with it. I've cut a deal with her - when we come to their home in central Oregon, I will do the cooking if she picks up the groceries before I arrive. She doesn't mind the grocery shopping and can afford to buy anything in the store I could possibly ask for (although I do try to stay reasonable - even on special occasions). I can even keep a fairly accurate inventory of her pantry in my memory so that I can be sure an alter my grocery store requests accordingly. Everyone wins with this plan.

After dining about an hour or so later than originally anticipated (that's the part I really suck at), the dinner was declared a success! Here's what we had:


Vambotu Curry (Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry) (I know, not Indian, but it's an amazing dish and a nice compliment to the other dishes we made)
Chukandar Dahi (Beets with Mint and Yogurt)*
Vatana Bhaji (Green Peas with Coconut and Cilantro)
Chickpea Salad with Ginger
Chicken Tikka
Basmati Rice
Paratha (Whole Wheat Flatbread)
Mint Chutney with Yogurt
Dry Peanut Chutney


And, for dessert, K made Chai Tea cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese frosting. The wine we served with dinner was Toluca Lane Pinot Noir 2003 which, admittedly, is not the ideal choice for Indian food with so many different spices and flavors, but dad likes pinot noir and it was his birthday.

Some of the dishes came from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian and others came from Mark Bittman's The Best Recipes in the World. My experience, so far, with both cookbooks is that the World Vegetarian recipes are a bit more challenging, time consuming and labor intensive, but all that I have made from that book have been tasty and worth my while. Bittman is awesome because he gives a ballpark idea of how long the dish will take to make, which is very helpful.

On the heels of this feast (i.e. last night) was a different feast in celebration of our friend Elizabeth's 50th birthday. The theme was "Itlee" (this is how Elizabeth says "Italy," being from New Orleans, er N'awlins, and all) and here is what we served:


appetizers:

Puree of Cannelini Beans with Garlic and Rosemary and Whole Wheat flatbread for dipping
Steamed Artichokes
Italian Black Truffle Cheese with Crackers and Figs
beverage: Pastis (I know, not Italian - I didn't have Campari or Limoncello on hand and didn't have time to go to the liquor store)


salads:

Caprese
Roasted Beets with Mint and a Balsamic Reduction*
Panzanella (Garlic Bread Salad with Tomatoes and Basil)


main course:

Saffron Risotto two ways:
one with Scallops, Prawns and Tomatoes
one with Asparagus, Peas and Roasted Red & Yellow Bell Peppers (K is vegan and J may or may not be pregnant and is not eating shellfish as a result)
beverage: BV Napa Cabernet 2004, sparkling water

dessert:

Lemon Tart (this is the most amazing lemon tart - perfect consistency and wonderful balance of sweet and tart with just the right amount of lemon and a flavorful crust; it's from the May 2002 issue of Bon Appetit and I highly recommend it)

Elizabeth and her boyfriend, Michael, were beyond happy with the full tummy and leftovers they had when they left our home. There are still more leftovers - anyone?

* Please note: Not sure if peeps know this or not, but I think it's valuable info for anyone who doesn't know. When you consume roasted beets, it has a very colorful impact when it exits your body (well, unless it exits via vomit, in which case I have no idea what color it would be - maybe ruby reddish). Seriously - the shits are a sort of reddish burgandy and it can be rather alarming if you aren't expecting it.

__________________________________

So, I realize that this isn't the thought provoking !kablammo! post that might come with a month + absence, but it's what was on my mind today. Worry not, there are some bonafide stories in the making and I'll do my best to do them justice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, what beets do to the poop. Learned that the panicked way years ago-- especially as it takes a while, sometimes after one has forgotten about the beets.

Licorice turns a person's poop green. I've always wondered about eating to organise a festive Christmassy poop.