Tuesday, June 13, 2006

perhaps I watch too much of The Sopranos

I think that our new neighbors (who just purchased the similar-to-ours townhouse next door for about 40K more than we paid in the fall - yippee!!!) may be in the Witness Protection Program. Since I work in the evenings, I'm home a lot during the day and, due to our many windows, I see a lot of the goings-on in my neighborhood. It's amazing how much you can find out about folks without even trying!

But the jury's still out on these new folks next door. I first noticed them while they were interacting with their home inspector one morning while I was making my coffee. They appeared to be amiable and attentive and I found myself hoping that they would follow through with the sale, as they seemed like they'd make okay neighbors.

Well, they've since moved in and, quite curiously, I have yet to see a U-Haul, or any such moving vehicle, filled with various and sundry belongings. I have noticed, however, five six separate large trucks delivering different pieces of furniture. They seem to have purchased a lot of new stuff, as if they are starting fresh, new. This wouldn't seem so odd to me if they also seemed to have boxes of belongings that most folks have when they move...you know: books, linens, dishes, music, clothing, that sort of thing. And I suppose they could have snuck this stuff into the house at night, while I'm at work, but you'd think I'd catch a little residual of the movings of belongings. But no. I've seen them pull up in their practically brand-new Lexus and have nothing to unload - no boxes, no clothing on hangers, no groceries, nada.

And a brand-new Lexus in this neighborhood??? That's odd.

Furthermore, J was noticing -with amusement- last night that the female counterpart of the new neighbors was having an enormously difficult time parallel parking her car, despite at least 10-15 feet of additional space beyond the length of her car between the two already-parked cars. Perhaps she's not a city gal. Or perhaps she's not accustomed to driving herself around.

And then there's the insipid black sedan that cruises slowly down our street every now and then. I never noticed it before and, now, I've seen it several times. It never stops, either...just slowly drives by.

So, let's recap:

  • lots of new furniture
  • seemingly, no prior belongings
  • no groceries
  • can't parallel park
  • apparent willingness to oblige
  • upper-middle class car in a lower-middle class neighborhood
  • the sudden appearance of a mysterious black sedan

All evidence points to the Witness Protection Program, as far as I can see.

Unless, maybe they are aliens!

3 comments:

J.D. said...

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

bad kitty said...

Hee Hee! I love it.

paradigm shifter said...

Maybe... and I know this is oh so less exciting... they already paid their rent at their old place through the 30th of June and aren't quite living here yet...thus no trash, no food, not all belongings in tow.

As far as the black sedan goes I can only guess that they are having a similar experience as we did... it's the russian mafia/former residents scoping out who took over their repossessed digs with bitterness and revenge on their minds. They've come back for their photos and hidden coins. Wait to we put their coins into cement stepping stones...we'll be living with the fishes for sure.