Thursday, November 16, 2006

Empathic Teen - Not for Sale

So, the other morning, whilst preparing for their days of school and work respectively, my teen daughter, K, says to my lovely wife, J, "did my mom have a rough night last night?"

J looks up, bewildered. "I don't think so. Why?"

K gestures to the small dry-erase board that is held by an uber-strong magnet to our refrigerator and says, "last night when I went to bed, the board was blank and now it has three booze items listed."

J looks at the board, where we all typically will jot down which grocery items we have just consumed the last of, thus simplifying the shopping for whoever eventually takes on this task. In my handwriting is the following list and nothing more:

Grand Marnier
Absolut Peppar
Bushmills

J laughs and tells K that she's pretty sure that I'm simply preparing for the holidays.

I beam with pride when this tale is later retold to me - my daughter knows what Bushmills is! She is so smart!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty observant teen. But I confess that I don't know what Bushmills is...

bad kitty said...

Ah...Bushmills is a fine Irish Whiskey and is perfectly lovely in a glass with no adornment.

If it's any consolation, K's father was a bartender many years ago and keeps a pretty impressive liquor cabinet on hand, and I am currently working as a bartender with my own impressive liquor supply at home.

Suffice to say, K has been more interested in learning how to make cocktails than in tasting/consuming them. I have no doubt this will turn her into a very popular freshman in the dorms when she begins college!