Monday, November 27, 2006

Tweedle-dum and Tweedle-dumber

So, manager-dude has reached new heights in stupidity as of late.

First of all, we recently had a wine rep visiting and trying to sell us some of his latest acquisitions, including a dessert wine. Manager-dude felt compelled to stand behind my bar and imbibe in the offerings of the gentle and kind wine rep, who also offered me tastes and solicited my opinion.

Prior to pouring an Oregon-made (evidenced by the name of vineyard and that it said "Willamette Valley" on the label) ice wine, the kindly rep informs us (in case we didn't already know, which we should and which I did) that ice wine is made from a process involving the freezing of wine grapes before fermentation, which renders a very sweet product. After manager-dude and I both taste, he asserts to the rep, "now, all ice wines are from Iceland, right?"

I am barely able to stifle my laughter. Now, admittedly, I don't expect everyone to know that ice wine is typically a German manifestation, but Iceland???? What grows in Iceland? Certainly not wine grapes!!!

I was very embarrassed for him, particularly since the rep had just explained why it is called ice wine, and did my best to nicely point out the label (which was facing us) where it said "Willamette Valley" (and anyone who knows anything about Pacific Northwest wines knows exactly what that means!). He seemed, sadly, unfazed by this, completely oblivious to his faux pas.

Now, if he hadn't previously boasted about his wine expertise, I *may* not have thought much of this...

Furthermore, upon returning to work the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I was mortified to hear Christmas music blaring from our sound system. I felt compelled to approach manager-dude about this. I immediately learned that other employees had complained, but simply because they did not want to spend 4-14 hours a day, every day from now until Christmas, listening to Christmas music. Yet I approached him with a different, less selfish, bent. I asked him: "Do you have any idea as to the demographics of our neighborhood?"

"What do you mean?" he asked, completely perplexed.

"Um, you do realize that we are located near one of the largest synagogues in Portland and that much of our regular clientele is Jewish?"

"So," he quips back.

"So it seems it might be insulting to them or, at the very least, completely disregarding their loyal patronage and disrespectful as a result."

"I don't care."

"Well, you should - why would you want to disrespect our customers?" I ask.

"Okay, fine," his defensiveness is starting to kick in, "find me the Hanukkah station on our music service and we'll play that for awhile."

"I don't think you get it," I tell him.

"Well, how are they going to feel about the thousands of dollars worth of Christmas decorations that we are about to put up?" he quips.

"Probably slighted and marginalized."

"Fine. We'll just be all PC and put up one of those candle things, a Buddha and Kwanzaa decorations as well," he proposed, thinking himself so clever.

He continued, "If you want to be so inclusive and considerate of the diversity of our customers, why don't we just do that, huh?"

Holy cow. There is no reasoning with this clown. I re-explain to him that I wasn't aiming for political correctness or the diversity of our customers, per se, but merely considering the demographics of our existing regulars, a large amount of whom are Jewish. And that, in layman's terms, it just isn't very nice of us to shove Christmas down their throats. I inform him that I have known people, Jewish and otherwise, complain about being told "Merry Christmas" throughout the month of December every time they make grocery purchases, put gas in the car, buy a latte and whatnot.

For what it's worth, he also tried to convince me that, unless the song is about Jesus, it's not a Christmas song, it's a holiday song. Um, hello, I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas, We Wish You a Merry Christmas, It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas, Let it Snow, The Christmas Song (aka Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire), Winter Wonderland, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Raindeer are not Christmas songs??? Sure, whatever you say, manager-dude.

He gets all huffy and then says, "Well, that's why I don't like gay pride parades."

Whoa?!?!?!? What the hell just happened? How on earth are we now discussing gay pride parades?

"And how does that relate to what we are discussing?" I inquire.

"Well, I think that's just shoving it down people's throats and I don't want to be represented by men in leather and drag queens."

Oh boy. Well I disagree with him entirely on this count, as well, but I really don't want to go there. As I'm looking at him in complete and utter disbelief, he continues.

"Why can't we just have parades with nicely dressed gay men and lesbians in pants and t-shirts holding signs (he raises his arms as if he is holding a sign) that don't offend anyone? And why do we need a parade, anyway? I just want more rights and I don't see what parades have to do with anything."

"You know, our (yes, our, he is a gay man) community owes a hell of a lot to drag queens. Do you have any idea how much we have benefited from the courage of the drag queens at Stonewall, who likely had no qualms about representing the likes of you and me?"

"I'm not talking about Stonewall, I'm talking about now."

Oh my, he really is that stupid. I shake my head and tell him that we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I just can't do this anymore. Calgon, take me away...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course gay pride parades!

Because you know that for the month up until the parade, every television show does its special "gay-themed" episode where the learn the true spirit of gay pride day that involves a child not born of heteronormative conception and a big daddy figure.

And because you know that all national and commercial institutions change their scheduling precisely for this event. No school for one-two weeks! Banks are closed! Music on every radio station changes! woohoo!

Oh and because gay pride parades actually take place EVERYWHERE-- no streets are safe.

Also, do you ever wonder about people who think "gay" and "shoving it down throats" in the same sentence? Then again, your manager is gay-- but others do it too! I swear.

Speaking as a Jewess, I have come to accept everyone's Christmas fun. What bugs me is:

1) the naturalizing of it as if it were secular-- nope, my friends, you may think that, but not so much. You're celebrating the birth of your God.

2) The assumption that every other holiday that falls around this time of year is a suitable equivalent. Hanukkah is not the Jewish Christmas. It is a fun holiday, to be sure (how can you not love a holiday that celebrates oil by frying things?). But really, this equal time thing comes off as patronizing, and that is more offensive than anything. At least know the holiday.

3)The fucktardedness of manager-dude, which, to be fair, seems like a year-around celebration. Who wants to listen to Christmas music all the time? Nobody but cracktards, that's who.

I'm sure there are other things that will come to mind but that's what I've got for now.

I've just noticed that I have a blogger display name here, but since it matches my legal name, and since I don't want my students to think that it's acceptable to use "cracktard" in an essay, I think I'll go anon for now.

bad kitty said...

Well played, Ms. Chicken.

Trust me, any attempt to try and explain to this cracktard (even though I am partial to "asshat," that will have to be the word of the day today) that Hanukkah is not the "Jewish Christmas" would be futile. I know I spent some time in my younger years thinking this (gee, I wonder why, Hallmark?) and I probably, also, am still ignorant in so many other ways, but you can't deny that his response regarding the "Hanukkah station" and one of those candle things" sorta takes the cake.

I am aware that many Jewish folk don't give a rat's ass about being told Merry Christmas and such, but while living in Los Angeles (where I used to get the day off for Rosh Hashana), I encountered many people who hated the vomit of Christmas decor everywhere and being told Merry Christmas - so that is where I came up with that notion. Ooh! Look! I learned something in LA!!!

(Confession: I have been "celebrating Hanukkah" the past three years with my best friend [who is Jewish] [her idea]. Although this is really just an excuse to spend the day with friends drinking and making latkes and macaroons on a random day in December [not always during Hanukkah, per se] and nothing else about it is really Hanukkah-esque. I think it could be her response to all the Christmas shit everywhere. Speaking of which, one time I stumbled upon a pair of glasses [sunglasses?] in which one sees Stars of David everywhere upon looking through the lenses and bought it for BFF - she thought it a hoot./confession)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hope it didn't come off as if I were criticizing the claim that Jews weary of hearing "Merry Christmas." It did lead to a period in my life when I would say, "Erm, yeah, congratulations on your god being born..." Playing awkward and uncomfortable seemed like much more fun than giving back the pointed "Happy Holidays, ahem."

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Hanukkah. Frankly, it's quite a bit of fun: donuts and latkes, gambling games that lend themselves to drinking games, and other things.

And I certainly don't expect you to school asshat dude. Oy. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.