Saturday, March 03, 2007

Something visible but without substance

So, it's no secret that one of my guilty pleasures (along with In and Out Burger and lots of music from the 80s) is American Idol.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase here.

Last season's winner, Taylor Hicks, is slated to come to Portland soon to play a show at the Crystal Ballroom. And do you know what they are charging for tickets?????

Forty (40) fucking dollars!!!!! Each!!!!

Now, I'm neither here nor there about Taylor - he wasn't my fave of last season, but I don't think he sucks either. Just not my style is all. Still, FORTY DOLLARS??

Here is a list of people/events I have seen (mostly at the Crystal Ballroom) in which tickets have been less than $40 (most of which have been less than $30):

  • Sleater-Kinney (with Eddie freakin Vedder doing an opening set) $13
  • The Shins $20
  • PJ Harvey $25
  • Liz Phair $17
  • Belle and Sebastian $30
  • The Indigo Girls (don't tease me, I did that for my woman) - I have no idea what we paid for those, probably $25 - $30
  • Patti Smith - yes, THAT Patti Smith - $30-ish
  • We've even seen Death Cab for Cutie (after everyone knew about them) for less than $30
  • I think both Dido and Ani diFranco were both right at $40 - at the Schnitzer, though
  • I've paid less than $40 for orchestra-level seats at the opera!
  • Alvin Ailey, less than $40
  • Upcoming Decemberists show $31 (for some reason, they cost more to see in Portland than almost anywhere else)
So tell me how this makes sense??? In fact, it's quite likely that the only person I've paid much over $40 to see is David Bowie. And anyone who knows me knows that there is no ceiling on what I will pay to see David Bowie in concert. But that's David fucking Bowie!!!

Seeing as how Taylor's CD is not selling all that well, I can't imagine that folks are going to be banging down the door to pay forty clams to see him sing bluesy songs and whip his upper body into a seizured frenzy. Seriously, am I completely delusional in thinking that $40 is a hella chunka change for Taylor Hicks tickets?

Perhaps Ruben Studdard is opening for him.

No comments: